Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Encino Providing Experienced Representation
Riding a bicycle is an excellent way to commute without driving a car or taking public transportation. But because cyclists have to share the road with motor vehicles, bike accidents do happen. Being struck by a car on a bicycle can have disastrous effects, including serious injuries or even fatalities. Injured cyclists deserve compensation for their injuries to cover expenses like medical bills, property damage, and emotional trauma.
If you’ve been in a bicycle crash, you deserve to rest and focus on recovering. Our team at V&A Law Firm is here to help you recover compensation and get the settlement you deserve, whether that’s through an insurance company or a bike accident lawsuit. Contact our legal team today to learn more about our services and receive a free case consultation. Call our office at 818-369-3270.
What Are the Main Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
Bicycle accidents happen for many reasons. However, there are some common scenarios our team sees often.
The most common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Drivers veering into bike lanes. The bike lane is a specific lane meant for cyclists only. However, cars can sometimes drift unintentionally into the bike lane, causing bikes to swerve or wreck.
- Drivers failing to yield in intersections. Motor vehicle drivers are required to share the road with bikers. When drivers fail to yield to bicycles, bicycle accidents can happen.
- Drivers failing to see cyclists on the road. After a cycling accident, many drivers claim they didn’t see the cyclist before hitting them. Some drivers are not used to watching out for people biking on the road, which can lead to bicycle fatalities and injuries.
- Distracted driving. A driver who is texting, talking on the phone, or eating may not have their full attention on the road. This type of reckless driving can injure bicycle riders.
- Drivers opening a car door into the bike lane. If a driver fails to check the bike lane before opening their door, they could hit a bicycle rider. This can cause a bike rider to fall off their bike and into the road.
What Should I Do After a Bicycle Accident?
After a bicycle accident, many riders are in a state of shock. However, there are certain steps you need to take to protect your health and bolster your case for financial recovery later on.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, take the following steps:
- Exchange insurance information with the driver who hit you. Get their license plate, driver’s license number, and insurer.
- Take photos of the crash, including pictures of your bike and the car that hit you.
- Talk to witnesses who saw the crash and get their contact information.
- Go to the emergency room or seek medical care if you were injured in the crash. Note any medical costs you pay out of pocket.
- Consult with a bicycle accident attorney to begin building your bicycle accident case and recover financial compensation.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Receive?
The amount of compensation you can receive depends on the nature of your case and your bicycle injuries. However, there are some common things an accident victim may claim as damages.
You may be able to seek compensation for things like:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Non-economic damages, like pain and suffering
- Economic damages, like lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Wrongful death
In some cases, the driver’s insurance policy will pay for the damages you claim. However, a car insurance policy may give you less of a payout than you deserve. In that case, it would be better to file a lawsuit and submit a bicycle accident claim. Contact a bicycle accident lawyer on our team today to learn more about the type of compensation you can receive.
Can Bicycle Accidents Be Prevented?
While all vehicles on the road need to be careful of each other, bicycle riders can keep themselves safe by following a few simple safety rules.
If you are a bicyclist, take the following steps to protect yourself and prevent accidents:
- Obey all the rules of the road
- Give cars a lot of room
- Assume that cars and large trucks will fail to see you on the road
- Wear appropriate safety gear
- Yield to motor vehicles if you are unsure whether the driver has seen you
- Use bike lanes if they are available
- Check for defective bicycle parts before riding
- Ride with the flow of traffic
- Stay alert, and avoid distracted riding
Safety gear is an essential component of bike riding accessories. If you are a regular bike rider, it is crucial to keep yourself safe with the proper safety gear.
It is recommended to use the following safety precautions when riding:
- Wear a properly-fitted helmet
- Wear bright and reflective clothing
- Use a bike light
- Add reflectors to your bicycle
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
A bicycle accident injury can be severe, and many injuries can leave you with life-long symptoms that impact you for years. As a bike rider, you deserve to recover compensation for your injuries as you rest and focus on your mental and physical health. Negotiating with insurance agents, talking to legal representatives, and tracking down the at-fault driver can add stress to your already difficult circumstances.
At V&A Law Firm, our team can help you take legal action and build a strong bicycle accident lawsuit to present in court. Our firm will help you hold the negligent driver responsible so you can recover compensation for your medical treatment, property damage, pain and suffering, and more. We can represent you before a judge or even negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf. Our lawyers would be happy to review your case and develop a legal strategy unique to your situation. Call us today at 818-369-3270 for a free case evaluation.