Brain Injury Lawyers in Encino, CA — Fighting to Get Our Clients Compensated for Traumatic Injuries
Suffering any type of injury can seriously disrupt a person’s life. However, trauma to the brain often proves especially catastrophic. There’s often not much opportunity for recovery with these injuries. Even worse, they frequently result in life-altering consequences. Such trauma can lead to anything from persistent headaches to permanent disability. If you or a loved one have gone through such a harmful event, a brain injury lawyer in Encino, CA, may be able to assist.
At V&A Law Firm, our team of California personal injury lawyers is dedicated to securing the best possible outcomes for our clients. Whether you suffered minor trauma that just kept you out of work for a while or have a loved one who is forever bedridden, our lawyers have the knowledgeable experience to help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. An Encino traumatic brain injury attorney in our law firm will help you understand your rights and options for moving forward.
When Are Brain Injury Victims Entitled to Compensation?
It may sound surprising, but brain injuries are not that uncommon. That’s because even a minor concussion falls into this category. And since up to 3.8 million concussions occur yearly in the U.S. — many of which go undetected — brain injuries are far from rare. However, serious damage that hinders brain function is more infrequent. So, when is a person entitled to compensation after such an injury? There are three elements to any successful case:
- Duty of care: For liability to be established, it must first be shown that a party had a duty of care. In most cases, this simply means they need to avoid negligent or wrongful acts.
- Violation of duty: To prove liability, it’s also necessary to show that a violation of duty occurred. For instance, a school that fails to provide helmets to football players may be violating a duty.
- Damages: The violation of a duty of care typically only results in compensation when actual harm or losses occur.
Keep in mind that these elements typically come into play during a lawsuit. If your Encino, CA, brain injury lawyer is able to secure a fair settlement, it might never be necessary to prove these in court. However, evidence of these elements is still important in order to persuade an insurer to settle. It can be difficult to know how to move forward, but a dedicated legal professional can help. Contact V&A Law Firm today for assistance.
Are There Different Types of Brain Injury?
There are various types of brain injuries. You may hear terms such as open head injury, mild concussion, and diffuse axonal injury passed around in the hospital. Listing all the potential injuries is better suited for a medical journal. However, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and non-traumatic brain injuries are more important to understand from a legal standpoint:
- Traumatic brain injury: These injuries are caused by an external force. For instance, a concussion is common after a sudden jolt when playing sports. A mild TBI may actually go unnoticed.
- Non-traumatic brain injury: Also known as an acquired brain injury, a non-TBI occurs due to internal factors. This could include a lack of oxygen, pressure from a brain bleed, or exposure to toxins.
Both these injury types can result from the negligence of a third party. For instance, someone in a store could suffer a TBI when a foreign object falls from a high shelf. Similarly, doctor mistakes with anesthesia can lead to a lack of oxygen to the brain — and thus a claim for medical malpractice. It’s crucial for both acquired and TBI victims to understand their rights. Contact our brain injury attorneys in Encino, CA, today for assistance.
What Are the Leading Causes of Brain Trauma?
Brain damage can completely alter a person’s life. When this happens, it’s often possible to seek compensation. However, it’s important to understand all the facts of these cases for the best chance at financial recovery. This includes knowing the underlying cause of the injury. Here are some of the most common events that result in brain damage:
- Negligent medical treatment
- Violence and crime (e.g., gunshot wound, assault)
- Car or truck accident
- Serious falls
- Struck by a moving object
- Sports injuries
- Penetrating brain injury (e.g., stab wound, impalement)
- Explosion or blast
A severe injury resulting from these incidents can happen at any time. A person could be sitting at a red light when a negligent driver causes a car accident that forever changes their life. Many victims of this and other types of accidents face years of rehabilitation and physical therapy, and some can never fully return to their previous lives. Our law firm can’t change what happened, but we can fight for a fair outcome on your behalf.
Contact our brain injury attorneys in Encino, CA, today for a free consultation.
What Compensation Is Available After Brain Injuries?
Whether you have a traumatic or non-traumatic brain injury case, several forms of compensation are available. If such an injury occurs during the course of your job, then it’s likely that workers’ compensation benefits are appropriate. If you were injured away from work and due to third-party negligence, though, you may be entitled to each of the following personal injury damages:
- Economic damages: These damages are meant to reimburse a person for quantifiable financial losses. This could include medical bills, lost wages, property damage, therapeutic costs, etc.
- Non-economic damages: These are damages that focus on non-financial losses. This could include pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and loss of enjoyment in life.
- Punitive damages: When a negligent party’s actions are especially egregious, California courts may decide to award additional damages as a form of punishment.
Keep in mind that all these compensation types will not always be available. For instance, when a person is seriously harmed in a car accident — even the best traumatic brain injury lawyer might be unable to secure punitive damages. That’s because the evidentiary bar to prove the appropriate level of negligence is exceptionally high. However, a good attorney will fight to secure every penny you deserve.
That’s exactly what we’ll do at V&A Law Firm. Contact us today to learn more.
Contact Our Brain Injury Lawyers in Encino, CA Today
If you or a loved one have suffered a brain injury of any kind, there’s a long road ahead of you. In a best-case scenario, these injuries will only result in temporary hurdles. Unfortunately, head trauma often leads to difficulties that never go away. Such issues can result in ongoing medical bills, lost wages, therapeutic costs, and other losses. This is why having legal representation on your side is so important. You need a California personal injury attorney to help you fight for justice.
At V&A Law Firm, that’s precisely what you’ll find. Our legal team is relentless when seeking compensation on behalf of our clients. In some cases, this means negotiating a fair settlement with the liable party’s insurance company. In other situations, it’s necessary to file a lawsuit in order to get a fair outcome. Regardless of the circumstances of your case, we can help you figure out how to move forward. Contact us today by calling 818-369-3270 to schedule your free consultation.
Our brain injury lawyers in Encino, CA, are ready to assist.