Slip and Fall Lawyers in Encino, CA — Helping Injury Victims Maximize Their Financial Compensation
You and your loved ones have the right to enjoy life without fear of harm. Unfortunately, the negligence of others can sometimes trample this right. While many mishaps can occur on a given day, a fall injury can prove particularly devastating. Not only is this one of the most common causes of injuries in America, but the trauma suffered can lead to lasting damage. And even when injuries are minor, their disruption to your life can be significant. If you’ve found yourself in this situation, a slip-and-fall lawyer in Encino, CA, can assist.
At V&A Law Firm, our team of California personal injury attorneys fights hard to advocate for our clients. We’ve seen the effects of negligence and know they can completely upend a person’s life. Fortunately, this is not something you have to go through alone. Our law firm can seek compensation on your behalf, including filing a lawsuit to compel financial recovery from responsible parties. And since you can get a free case evaluation at V&A Law Firm, there’s no reason not to reach out today.
Are You Entitled to Compensation After a Fall?
Slip and fall accident victims often face an onslaught of costs related to their injuries. Lost wages from being unable to work make medical expenses that much more difficult to pay. However, it’s not always the case that an accident victim is entitled to compensation. There are actually specific elements that must be proven in any successful slip and fall claim. If these elements can be easily established, the negligent party’s insurer will likely opt for a settlement agreement.
Here’s what you’ll need to prove in your case:
- Duty of care: Everyone has a duty to avoid actions that could harm others. For instance, if you and other guests are on someone else’s property, the property owner has a duty to provide safe surroundings free of hazards.
- Violation of duty: Any successful fall injury claim will show that a violation of duty occurred. For instance, a homeowner failing to clear snow and ice from their walkway prior to inviting guests would violate their duty of care.
- Injury or damages: A violation of duty only leads to compensation if harm occurs. If a guest slips on an icy sidewalk, they may have a premises liability claim. Such claims can also hold negligent landlords, government agencies, and other parties responsible.
Successful slip-and-fall lawsuits have to establish each of these elements. However, litigation will not always be necessary. If you have an experienced legal professional on your side, insurers will understand that you’re not taking the situation lightly. This will make them more inclined to “play ball” and offer a settlement that accounts for all your losses — not just those related to financial damages. This is why we cannot stress enough: Even if you don’t work with our law firm, speaking with an Encino, CA, slip-and-fall attorney is vital to your case.
What Are the Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents?
Establishing liability for slip and fall injuries can be a challenging endeavor. However, the first step in this process involves identifying the underlying cause of the accident. This will go a long way in determining all responsible parties. Liability claims are most successful when all underlying facts of a case are established. If you or a loved one have found yourself harmed in a slip and fall case, one of the following common causes is likely the culprit:
- Wet and slippery surfaces
- Insufficient lighting
- Damaged or uneven flooring
- A dangerous condition on construction sites
- Lack of guardrails or handrails
- Obstructed or cluttered walkways
- Inadequate maintenance
- Inclement weather
- Improper footwear
- Inadequate personnel training
Clearly, just about any act of negligence or hazardous condition can cause a serious slip-and-fall accident. Of course, not all these incidents will be caused by a reckless party. For instance, improper footwear is often worn by the victim’s own choice. However, comparative negligence laws mean it’s still possible to recover compensation. For instance, an injury could be caused by improper footwear and uneven asphalt in parking lots. In such situations, the property owner’s partial negligence could still equate to compensation.
Obviously, these cases can be complex. That’s why you should contact a slip and fall lawyer in Encino, CA, today.
What Compensation Is Available to Injury Victims?
There are various forms of compensation available to slip and fall victims. The specifics of a case will dictate the types of recovery available. If a claim makes it to the litigation phase, the liable party could end up paying for the following damages:
- Economic damages: These are related to financial losses. These are common in any fall accident case. Victims can be reimbursed for lost wages, medical expenses, property damage, etc.
- Non-economic damages: These are non-monetary losses. Pain and suffering, emotional distress, mental health difficulties, and other non-quantifiable losses fall into this category.
- Punitive damages: If the courts decide that a liable party’s actions were particularly egregious, they may have to pay additional damages as a form of punishment.
Keep in mind that these won’t all be available in every case. For instance, punitive damages are difficult to secure in court. Additionally, victims injured on the job may not be entitled to any of this due to workers’ compensation laws. However, each case is unique — so it’s essential that you don’t make decisions based on Internet resources. Contact our slip and fall injury lawyers today to get a better understanding of your rights and how to move forward.
Contact Our Slip and Fall Lawyers in Encino, CA Today
Suffering any significant injury can be devastating. You could find yourself facing extreme medical bills at a time when you’re unable to work. Even worse, victims often experience harm that lasts a lifetime — and many people have found themselves planning funerals for loved ones who suffered injuries. Put simply, you have a lot on your plate at the moment. It’s bad enough that a negligent property owner or other reckless party put you in this position in the first place. You shouldn’t have to face the headaches of seeking compensation alone.
At V&A Law Firm, we’re here to simplify the process for you. Whether it’s a private party, business owner, or government entity that’s responsible for your injury, we’ll work vigilantly to secure the financial recovery you deserve. In many instances, reaching a fair settlement with an insurance company is possible. If litigation is unavoidable, though, our law firm has the trial experience necessary to fight for you in court. Contact us today by calling 818-369-3270 to schedule your free consultation.
Our slip and fall lawyers in Encino, CA, are here to assist.